The group was established in 1943, 7th of December to be exact as a part of the Sunday school at Spotland Methodist Church. It was originally formed as a Wolf Cub pack and was sponsored by the church, this sponsorship continues to the present day.
The group originally met in the chapel buildings, before moving to an upstairs room just off Mitchell Street. The group made another move to the current location when the headquarters at Spotland Bridge were built by the members and opened in the autumn of 1962. In the boom times of the early 80's an extension was built to accommodate the increased numbers. Sadly the numbers declined in the 90's and the extension had to be closed. The actual building was sold on to another Scout Group.
During the history of the group all of the sections Beavers, Cubs, and Scouts, along with the older, no longer existing sections of Ventures’, and Seniors’, have been active at some time. The group currently has the three active sections. These are a Beaver Scout Colony, a Cub Scout Pack and a Scout Troop. After the Sccout Troop, we offer Explorer Scouts the opportunity of joining in with one of the Units around our town.
The group was the first in Rochdale to go co-educational when five female Scouts and one female Cub Scout were invested into the group in October 1999. This investiture took place at a special open evening for parents, which was attended by Ian Kay the District Commissioner. Ian was of course a 7thA Scout himself, before being “promoted” to these giddy heights, in 1991.